NYT Sunday Crossword Hints.
Theme: “Persons of Note”. Sounds musical, eh? Nope. Hint: “If it doesn’t fit, you must…” As soon as you find a spot where you’re pretty sure you know the answer, but it just doesn’t seem to fit in the space allotted, you’re on the right track. Hint #2: Take out your wallet! Hint #3: If you’re still stuck, see if you can work out 31 & 33 Down with the emphasis on the last two words of the phrase.
10 specific clue hints:
1. 19-Across & 20-Across are both plurals, but only one ends in S.
2. 115-Across & 111-Across (linked clues): Think grocery store, not shoe store.
3. 72-Across: Think Colorado and Washington, not elbows and places to get an inexpensive meal
4. 107-Across It has 135-degree angles: quite a number of them, actually
5. 109-Across Proust title character: He has a Way with him.
6. 53-Down Polish the old way: Think door knobs. 2 words
7. 77-Down Recently: Well, thank god it’s not OF LATE (I hate that phrase!), this one’s 3 words.
8. 73-Down Web site heading: NNE? No. Psst: It’s an acronym that ends with a letter that rarely ends a word.
9. 6-Down Assesses: Sounds like a pair of jeans for kiddies?
10. 61-Down Apotheosizes: Boy, that’s a big word. What the heck does it mean? Think religiously about this one.